Friday, February 19, 2010

It's difficult to get Mandela's accent

Oscar nominee Morgan Freeman is set to entertain audiences as he plays the challenging role of Nelson Mandela in Invictus presented by Warner Bros Pictures. Here he talks about his experience of meeting the man himself.


How does it feel to play your friend on the big screen?
It feels rather terrific. It’s a situation that was meant to be.

Did you feel a lot of responsibility?
No!

How did Nelson Mandela react to the film?
He smiled a lot and nodded! When I first came on-screen he leaned over to me and said, “I know this fella!” I got the impression that he wasn’t embarrassed.


Did you consult him at all while making the film?
No. I consulted film and tapes of him. But I didn’t go to him and say, “Madiba, how did you feel about this?” He’s 90-years-old now.

How well do you know him?
I’ve run into him in different places in the world over the years. But it’s not like I’d call him up in the middle of the night and go, “Yo Madiba, how’s it going?”

Tell us a bit about your research and what you found most challenging?
The most challenging was the voice... the accent. I’d been watching him for years. Once I got the notion that I would be playing him on-screen, it became a question of paying close attention to him, whenever I was in his company or when I’d see him on screen.

How important are awards to a film like Invictus?
They’re just a pat on the back. The main thing about awards is that they serve as an economic surge for the film. If your movie gets nominated for any award it does it a big favour. People might go and see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment